in cultural and contextual studies.
A Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, I have twelve years’ experience leading undergraduate and postgraduate modules in cultural and contextual studies with a focus on identity and media. I lecture at The University of the Arts’ London College of Communication, Regent’s University London and The University of Southern California as well having presented invited lectures on topics including transnational cinema at a number of other international universities. My student feedback always scores 5th band ranking, with 100% satisfaction ratings for areas including responsiveness to student needs. I was also nominated for a London College of Communication teaching award for my work supporting dissertations.
I am known for delivering sessions that combine theoretical exploration with a performance element that ensures classes remain energized. My lectures have included live-action screenings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show to explore fandoms, in-class computer-gaming sessions to discuss censorship and the establishment of the first multi-agency protocol for charity flashmobs in London for a module in cross-cultural communications.
I can work with pre-existing syllabi or devise the module plan from scratch (I devised several modules for Regent’s University London’s Liberal Arts B.A.). The courses I have taught are as follows:
- Gender and News Media
- Identities in Media
- Media Cultural Texts and Contexts
- Audio Visual Critical theory
- Visual Cultures
- Key Cultural Theories
- Live Events and Television
- Media, Technology and Interactivity
- Promotional Media Cultures
- Media Literacy (including television studies, gaming cultures, journalism, censorship, public relations, advertising, social networking and political broadcasting)
- Introduction to Mass Communications (including critical theory and research techniques)
- Media Ethics
- History of Film
- British Film
- Media Adaptations
- Global Horror and Fantasy Film Culture
- Film Journalism
- Cult Film
- Issues in Genre Film
- Cross-Cultural Media
- Research Methods
Contact me to discuss how I can benefit your students.